Ruby on Rails: what is it
To begin with, Ruby on Rails is a well-known framework that allows developers to save time for writing a code. Of course, it is not the only one existing framework as there are plenty of them these days. They play a great role, helping the developers by providing ready-made solutions for creating tables, menus or forms. Applying Ruby on Rails means that there is no necessity to write the program from a scratch. Here a framework will assist in picking up the code for the most required functions, and plugging it into a particular application or a website.
What are its main advantages
The main advantage of the Ruby programming language and the Ruby on Rails framework is the speed of development. In practice, the pace of developing projects on RoR is 30-40 percent higher than any other programming language or framework. This increases the development speed, due to an extensive set of ready-to-use standard RoR tools. The ability to use ready-made solutions from other developers, and, of course, the convenience of Ruby programming language.
In addition, unlike other frameworks, RoR has excellent automated testing tools, which speed up the transition of the project from the “program written” stage to the “program runs without errors” stage. In fact, this transition often takes the most time in the implementation of almost any project. It should also be noted that Ruby on Rails provides better project security. When using the RoR tools, SQL injections and XSS attacks are excluded. All input parameters are escaped by default, and the output variables in the templates are also escaped. The developer simply has no chance to make a security error.
Last but not least is extensibility of the framework. A large ecosystem of open source plugins that implement the most popular functions of Ruby on Rails. There is a big variety of those: from low-level, responsible for some aspect of the internal work of the application, to high-level, which are separate modules for solving a whole range of business problems. The use of such systems largely caused the high popularity of the framework. It features the ability to connect individual components and libraries that greatly accelerates development. Moreover, the extensions are well tested and debugged over the years. It ensures the reliability of solutions, developed with this approach.
Ruby on Rails Development Culture
The basic principles of developing, with usage Ruby on Rails are:
- The principle of DRY (Don’t repeat yourself) – the framework provides mechanisms for the reuse of software code. This allows not only to minimize duplication of code but also to increase the speed of development.
- Convention over configuration principle – by default, the framework uses numerous configuration conventions, typical for many applications. This greatly simplifies the creation of applications, since explicit configuration specification is required only in non-standard cases.
- Automated testing – RoR comes with tools for conducting fully automatic modular, integration, and functional testing, while the Ruby on Rails ideology suggests using Test Driven Development (TDD) methods. All this makes the developed applications really reliable.
What Ruby on Rails projects are best for
- online stores with sophisticated filters, selection modules, integration with external systems;
- coupon services, sites of collective purchases;
- information portals, electronic publications;
- exchange, trading platforms;
- sites ads, dating sites;
- social networks;
- unusual/non-standard, technically complex projects;
- services, SaaS solutions;
- when it is necessary that everything is done quickly and on the high level.
Ruby on Rail: when to use
The following framework will be a great decision when the developer is working at ordinary web app and is expecting the project will live for a long time. It means the expert needs to apply a tool which will help to continue development and website further existing. Here is the support from the community or from the company, in case of necessity. Ruby on Rails is a great choice in such a situation, there are enough alternatives to choose from. However, Ruby on Rails still remains on its high positions. Do you assume the constant change in available requirements and functionality, as well as a vector of project development? There is no necessity to prefer a permanent product concept as it changes and always depends on the user feedback. Finally, a developer needs “rapid prototyping”, which Ruby on Rails is perfect for.
As you can see, it is difficult to overestimate the advantages of the framework, together with the number of areas where it can be applied. There is hardly a better tool to achieve the necessary results in a fast and convenient way. While working with Ruby on Rails everybody will get great pleasure and satisfaction. Finally, Ruby on Rails can become a true friend, with the powerful toolkit in your hands, you definitely will work more productively than ever.