Stephen Hawking – Brіtіsh theoretical physicist, cosmologist, author, and Director of Research at the Centre of Theoretical Cosmology at the University of Cambridge. The scientist made a big influence on the gravitational singularity theorems, the studies of black holes, the theory of cosmology and was a supporter of the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. Hіs life has ended on 14th of March 2018, in Cambridge, England.
The Inoxoft team was lucky to meet him during the Web Summit 2017, in Lisbon. Let’s review top facts everyone should know about the great scientist.
- Professor Stephen Hawking was born 300 years after the death of Galileo Galilei, on 8th of January 1942, in Oxford. Around 200 000 babies were born that day, but only he became a great theoretical physicist and cosmologist.
- When Hawking was 21, doctors diagnosed rare early-onset slow-progressing form of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. They predicted that he would die during the next 5 years, despite that he lived for 55 years after that.
- He was not highly ranked the best during school time, he was a random student with a huge interest in maths and chemistry. Classmates called Stephen a nerd, because of his love of jazz, classical music and scientists debates. While teenagers of that time preferred sports and pop music.
- Hawking married his first wife, Jane Wilde, in 1965, at that time he was sure that he is going to die soon. As a result of the marriage, they had three healthy children.
- During the meeting of The Royal Society, he interrupted a lecture of Fred Hoyle, in order to pay attention to the mistake. Hoyle was surprised, how did he found the mistake, Hawking said: “Because I`ve worked them out in my head”.
- During 1970s Stephen had been researching in the field of cosmology. He opened the radiation in Black Holes.
- In the 1980s, Hawking published the book “A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes”. In the book, he explained the model of the universe without time and borders.
- In 1985, he has almost died of pneumonia, while traveling to Geneva. Then his wife rejected the idea of removing the life support. After this occasion, he was not able to speak, and then, the famous speech synthesizer was created by Words Plus company.
- In 1990, after 25 years of marriage, he left his wife and married one of his nurses – Elaine Mason, they divorced in 2006.
- One of the Hawking’s theories predicts the end of humanity, caused by global warming, a strong killer virus, or crash of wide comet to the Earth.
- During 30 years Stephen Hawking was a professor of maths at the Cambridge University. The same role was performed by Isaaс Newton, 300 years ago.
- In 2010, together with Leonard Mlodinow, he published the book “The Grand Design”. The book describes hypothesis, where the God is not required for the creation of the Universe.
- They say that Stephen Hawking is the Einstein of modern days. Some scientists do not agree with all his sayings and theories. But everyone agrees, that he made a huge impact on science and it cannot be undervalued.